By Richard Deasington
iDirect is well known as a provider of 2G / GSM cellular backhaul solutions with over 40 networks in operation around the world – including the largest VSAT cell backhaul network that is deployed in China with around 1,200 sites. However, most new networks deployed now are 3G HSPA networks that offer high-speed data at up to 11 MB downlink speed as well as conventional voice and SMS services – can iDirect satellite infrastructure support this traffic?
The short answer is ‘yes’! iDirect worked over the past year with several leading vendors of 3G infrastructure to ensure that it operates efficiently over our D-TDMA networks and also so that we have the best network settings already prepared for implementing these networks. We have just completed a round of testing with the very latest 3G technology and you can expect to see a public announcement on this in the next month or so. As a taster we can say that achieving 3G connectivity from native IP- connected 3G Node Bs (base stations) has proved quite straightforward and multi-megabit throughputs can be delivered. Our combined SCPC Return and TDMA networks can now easily handle this level of traffic using the most appropriate technology depending on the throughput required and the traffic characteristics.
Things are going great in Long Beach, CA. The iDirect team participated in the evening reception at the UTC 2011 show, which opened yesterday. Traffic has been consistent at the iDirect booth and the sales and marketing team discussed satellite connectivity solutions with utilities customers.
- If you’re at the show, stop by our booth #106 to register to win an iPad2!
- Hang around after the show tonight and stop by the Auld Dubliner Irish Pub. iDirect is hosting a VIP reception for key partners, vendors and utility customers. RSVP here
- Symposium: Enterprise IT, with iDirect’s Ed Smith
If you missed iDirect’s last webinar about International Defence it is now available for viewing.
Tune in to learn about:
- iDirect’s Defence technology, whether you are interested in our latest government- and military- focused iDX 2.3 Release offering DVB-S2 TRANSEC over Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM), Transmit Keyline, and FIPS 140-2 compliancy
- The latest advances in high-speed Comms-on-the-Move products
- Quickly deployable, tamper-proof, lightweight remotes
- iDirect Hub network architecture with great advances in DVB-S2/ACM combined with highly secure features
Thanks to all who participated! Keep reading our blog to hear about our next webinar coming in May.
In order to view the playback file, you may need to download the WebEx player and install it on your computer. Click here to download the WebEx player.
The following guide outlines 10 considerations for choosing the right satellite communications platform for your business. No matter what market you plan to enter or how large you want to grow your operations, these considerations can make a critical difference to your immediate and long-term success.