Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) recently announced the finalists for the MEF 2016 Excellence Awards, and among the 36 companies named, was iDirect.
The MEF is a global industry association composed of the world’s leading telecommunications service providers, focused on the implementation of Carrier Ethernet services. In support of promoting interoperability and deployment of Carrier Ethernet worldwide, iDirect recently launched a major innovation, one that is also a significant step toward MEF’s vision: Layer 2 over Satellite (L2oS).
MEF’s expert panel of judges honored our L2oS technology as a finalist for the category of Third Network Technology Solutions Awards. As the only satellite communications-related vendor in the list, iDirect appreciates the recognition for how L2oS will enable service providers to use Ethernet Virtual Connections to create more agile satellite networks.
But iDirect’s L2oS solution overcomes these proprietary satellite protocols by providing service providers the option to run an iDirect satellite network in an efficient Layer 2 bridging mode as an alternative to the traditional Layer 3 routing architecture. The goal is to better align satellite communications with other types of access networks so that network operators can seamlessly integrate satellite communications into their overall infrastructure – thus delivering on the promise of a truly connected world.
- Transparent Layer 3 Delivery: Inherent support of protocols such as IPv4, IPv6, OSPF, BGP and IPsec
- More Virtual Network Options: Use physical access ports, VLAN tags, or Q-in-Q tags
- Simplified Network Management: Reduced number of IP address assignments and less tunneling
- Efficient Header Compression: Advanced header compression across Layer 2 to 4
- Expanded Service Delivery: Deploy hybrid mix of Layer 2 and Layer 3 to best meet needs